We all love Italian torrone, a soft nought candy filled with nuts. As it is Italian, it contains almond flavors. However, you can also use pistachio for color and flavor. Traditionally, this recipe is scented with almond, honey and orange flavors. You can also use seeds from the vanilla bean or citrus zest to add additional flavor. However, you should keep in mind that just like other egg white-based candies, you have to keep this recipe away from humidity. So, if you want to make this candy at home, make sure that it is a low humidity day. Traditionally, this recipe is made with edible rice paper. This makes it easy to slice and serve.
So, let’s make the Italian Torrone at home.
Italian Torrone – Ingredients
- Egg whites -3
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Granulated salt (divided) – 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons
- Honey – 1 cup
- Light corn syrup – ¼ cup
- Water – ¼ cups
- Vanilla extract – 1 tablespoon
- Orange extract – ½ tablespoon
- Almond extract – ¼ tablespoon
- Almonds (toasted) – 2 cups
- Edible rice paper – optional
Italian Torrone – Instructions
- Take an 8 X 11 inch pan and line it with plastic wrap. Spray this pan with nonstick cooking spray. Make sure that the sides are sprayed well.
- Place a layer of edible rice paper on the bottom of the pan.
- Put salt and egg whites in a clean and dried large stand mixer’s bowl.
- Add corn syrup, honey, water and three cups of sugar in a large saucepan and put over medium heat. Use a large saucepan as the mixture will triple in size.
- Stir to dissolve sugar. Use a wet pastry brush to brush down any stay sugar crystals on the sides of the pan.
- Cook the syrup and occasionally stir until it reaches 143 degrees Celsius. You can use a candy thermometer to check the temperature.
- When the temperature of the syrup is 132 degrees Celsius, beat egg whites and salt with a large mixture having a whisk attached to it. Do it until you have soft peaks.
- Start adding a small amount of sugar at a time until whites become shiny. Make sure that whites can hold firm peaks.
- Remove the whisk attachment and attach the paddle attachment.
- Remove the pan when the syrup reaches 143 degrees Celsius. Pour the syrup into a 4-cup measuring cup.
- Keep the mixer on medium speed and add the syrup into the egg whites slowly and carefully.
- Beat the egg whites at medium-high speed until it becomes stiff, shiny and very thick. It takes around 5 minutes.
- Beat briefly after adding the three extracts.
- Stir after adding toasted almonds to the bowl. Now you have stiff and sticky candy.
- Transfer the candy into the pan lined with plastic wrap. Smooth the top with an offset spatula.
- Now cover it with a layer of rice paper.
- Place the same size pan on the top of the nougat. Weigh it down by placing a heavy object.
- Use the plastic wrap as handles and lift it from the pan.
- Make a chef’s knife non sticky using cooking spray and cut the nought into small pieces.
Now your Italian Torrone is ready to serve.